Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Doctor, doctor... part 2

A friend called the other night rather late. After making plans to ride three days of RAGBRAI he unfolded a rather bleak litany of burdens. One of his parents has cancer and was starting chemo.
He's working longer hours. Two guys doing the work four guys used to do.
His child got sick and had to go to the ER.
His family's going out-of-town for spring break so he'll be "batching it."
He's involved in a legal situation that will probably "go his way" but still takes a toll.

More than once he assured me he was OK. I prayed for him over the phone.

He compared his relationship to his parent with that of a friend from work who hasn't spoken to her father in ten years. "I can't imagine the world without them," he told me.
He was grateful for the love they shared. "I've been really fortunate," he said.

Next morning I read this:

A Message from the high and towering God,
who lives in Eternity,
whose name is Holy:
“I live in the high and holy places,
but also with the low-spirited, the spirit-crushed,
And what I do is put new spirit in them,
get them up and on their feet again.
For I’m not going to haul people into court endlessly,
I’m not going to be angry forever.
Otherwise, people would lose heart.
These souls I created would tire out and give up.


Peterson, E. H. (2002). The Message (Is 57:15). Colorado Springs, Colo.: NavPress.

No comments:

Post a Comment